Tuesday 15 May 2012

I'm going to be a doctor!

Now that I've relatively calmed down from this morning's excitement, I'm here to tell you guys my whole acceptance story:

Medical school decisions are one of those things that take a very long time to finalize if you consider how applications begin as early as July and eventually culminate in decisions being released around the 2nd-3rd week of May, the following year. Even more so, many students who apply to medical school begin the process many years before (I knew I wanted to do medicine since I was 11 so for me, it's been a decade long dream that I've been working towards). You can imagine then, why many premeds are filled with anxiety, excitement, and even dread come Decision Day.



Last night, a couple of buddies of mine went out for a nice dinner and had a couple of drinks to ease our anxiety. For me, I think the outing did the trick as I was exhausted and very sleepy when I got home. Surprisingly, all those stories that I've read and heard of not being able to sleep the night before decision day didn't materialize for me as I slept soundly up until 8 am this morning. Then, I proceeded to wake up at the full hour and then continued to fall asleep. I knew that for U of T, decisions wouldn't be coming out until around 10:30 am so I tried my best to fall back to sleep. I woke up at around 9:45 am, washed up, and came downstairs to eat breakfast. I can tell my parents were a bit nervous for me by their pacing and utter silence around the breakfast table and yet strangely enough, I felt mostly calm (with a bit of anxiety) this morning. Around 10:15 am, I went to my room, turned on my laptop, and logged into my email account, waiting for U of T's response. Around 10:27, I decided to leave my room for a bit and when I came back (10:30), I noticed that there was a notification telling me that I had one new unread message. Now, I had figured that there was no way I would be getting an email right at 10:30 am considering how servers take awhile to send emails. I opened up my inbox and I saw this:

University of Toronto - Congratulations

Having gone through the application cycle, I can usually tell from the subject line of the email whether or not the news will be good or bad. When I got my U of T interview invite, the subject line had "MD Interviews" whereas when I got rejected from other medical schools, the subject line was very generic and read along the lines of "MD Application". So, when I saw this email heading this morning, I kind of knew that I got in but I think it was just so surreal that I had to read the first few lines of my email before the news finally kicked in. 

My friends asked me how I would respond if I got accepted and I told them I'd probably cry tears of joy. Lo and behold, when I saw that coveted email from U of T this morning, I rushed downstairs, yelling "I GOT IN! I GOT IN!" and was hysterically crying tears of joy for awhile before I calmed down. Needless to say, my parents were ecstatic and were just as overwhelmed as I was. I've firmly accepted my offer and can't wait to begin a new chapter in my life. I'll definitely be blogging about my experiences in medical school along the way so stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you. I don't know how you were able to fall asleep knowing that the decisions were coming out. I'd be awake all night worrying! I'm excited to read about your adventures in medical school :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you're going to have to chance your blog's name now - GonnaBE M.D. :P

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @repede: that does make more sense doesn't it? Lol. Thanks for the congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it! Was so happy to see you were accepted!! I feel the same way - I actually slept perfectly the night before.
      Great job, Dr Cass!
      <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...